Thursday 13 September 2012

Advice for a Natural Girl in New York

"I recently did a big chop and my hair is growing back, but I am a bit discouraged because I do not know what to do with at this point. Do you have any suggestions. I am desperate. Background: I got a relaxer when I was 12, and I loved it (at the time). I was young and I thought that straight was the way to go. However, now that I am older I would like to put away childish things..lol..  My issue was moving from straight to curly. I like the "untamed" look. I loved when my hair curled up. So, I would like to go natural because my hair would be more versatile in that state.

However, my bf hates the short look, and he makes jokes all the time, my family says my hair looks matted now, and I feel very self-conscious, now that my hair is growing back. My bf joked after my big chop -because he says he hates short hair, and my family (some members) liked the short-bald-look, others tolerated it, and others loved it ( mixed reviews). I want to embrace my afro but I am having a hard time. This is my third time transitioning, because I caved the other times, and got a perm, as a result of the negative comments. I live in NY, and I do not know a lot of great natural stylists. In addition, the ones I do know are either very expensive, or are limited as to what they can do. PLEASE let me know if you can help in any way? I tried braids but they slipped off because of the texture and length of my hair. I do not know what else to do." - N.D.

If you have any advice for this natural New Yorker and how to style her hair while in transition or suggestions for natural hair stylist in New York, please reply to this post. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment