Thursday 8 November 2012

Ivy Charlaine's Hair Story



Name: 'Ivycharlaine'

Q: What is your hair story?  What kind of hair styles have you rocked, before embracing your natural hair?
A: Wow my hair story is crazy and was very unpredictable.  I've gone from getting relaxers to flat ironing my hair and keeping it super long to dyeing it blonde, brown & red at times.  I've also chopped it all off and shaved the back.  This was all before I decided to go natural.

Q: When and why did you decide to start wearing your hair naturally?
A: I decided to go natural a little over 3 years ago.  I was at a point in my life where my hair was shoulder length and dyed a dark blonde/light brown color and was super damaged from heat and dye.  I hadn't had a relaxer in almost ten years at that time however my hair was so damaged that it would barely curl when it was wet.  I also started noticing women with beautiful, big, curly natural hair and I loved it so I made the decision to go natural.  Which to me meant putting down my flat iron and growing out the damaged parts of my hair (basically my whole head lol).

Q: Did you have any big fears about going back to your natural texture?
A: I was a little nervous about the unknown.  I had basically worn my hair straight for my entire life (except when I was a kid) so I wasn't sure how my hair would look natural and I couldn't even remember what my curls looked like.

Q: What are three products you can't live without for nurturing/styling your hair?
A: First off I think water is the #1 best thing for your hair.  I also love, love, love coconut oil and Shidanaturals moisturizing cream. 

Q: What would you say to someone who's thinking about embracing their natural hair, but scared about being rejected in various parts of their lives?
A: Just do it! I'm so glad I made that decision.  I absolutely love my hair and I love that it's different, unique and all my own.  Don't worry about society's view on natural hair, because lately that's been changing a lot and you see a lot of natural beauties in the media and in the workplace.  Embrace the natural beauty that God has blessed you with.  I straighten my hair every now and then but I get so excited when I go back to my curls.

Q: How can we keep up with you and your journey?
A:  You can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, & YouTube under my username Ivycharlaine.  You can also check out my website www.ivycharlaine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment