Friday 6 March 2009

A touch of Ignorance

I was walking to Bart from work a few days ago, I nice man yelled out to me “You have beautiful hair!”  So I smiled and said thank you.  Not so far from him was a group of 3 young non-ethnic women.  As soon as the man gave me the compliment, the three girls looked up at me and immediately begin to snicker and then laughed out loud at me.

In the past, something like this would have hurt me. But (even though I still have my insecurities) I am older and wiser now. A little part of me wished that I had walked up to them and asked: Are you racist? Or are you just being a bunch of b*thces? But I am beyond that. They were obviously young and immature. Still living with the mentality that their beauty is the only beauty. But life has evolved for me. I am will never go back to that reality. So I feel sorry for these three young ladies that could not step outside of their box long enough to see that beauty comes in all shades, shapes and forms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment